This is a valuable mixed use infill development opportunity centrally located in Downtown San Leandro. The site was identified as a strategic development opportunity in the City’s 2007 Transit Development Strategy. Additionally, the Redevelopment Agency’s 2010-2014 Implementation Plan includes a goal to redevelop this site to “provide mixed-use retail and multi-family residential consistent with the TOD Strategy.”
Two properties will be offered through a Request for Proposals (RFP) process. The response deadline has been extended to February 28, 2017. The RFP will require potential purchasers to list an offering price for the properties and provide information about a proposed development concept, financial security of the developer, track record and experience with transit oriented developments, and the development team. Download the RFP.
The project has the potential to build upon additional new development in Downtown to positively impact the greater area. Current Downtown projects underway include the San Leandro Tech Campus, located adjacent to the San Leandro BART station, which will include up to 500,000 square feet of office and commercial space, a 780 space parking garage, and the 55 foot-tall Truth is Beauty art piece. OSIsoft occupies the first 132,000 square foot building of the Tech Campus and the developer is seeking tenants for two additional 130,000 square foot buildings. Across the street from the BART station, the Marea Alta residential development is also underway, and will include 115 family rental housing units, 85 affordable senior housing units, over 400 parking spaces (including BART parking), retail, and community facilities. A mixed-use development is also being planned for the 1.5 acre site at East 14th St. and Callan Ave., which will include over 100 market rate housing units, ground floor retail, and parking.
The Site is within walking distance of a number of retail stores, personal services, restaurants, and offices, including Safeway, CVS, Peet’s Coffee, Habit Burger, Chipotle, as well as a number of unique restaurants and bars, including The Cooler tap room and soon-to-open Sons of Liberty Alehouse. The site is also across the street from the lively Downtown Farmer’s Market, which is held weekly April through October.
Visit our blog to learn more about innovation and economic development in San Leandro at www.sanleandronext.com.
Relevant background documents include:
1. Successor Agency Long Range Property Management Plan (LRPMP) - https://www.sanleandro.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=24344
2. San Leandro Zoning Code - http://www.qcode.us/codes/sanleandro-zoning/ - CLICK ON ‘CODE ALERTS’ FOR RECENT ZONING CHANGES
3. San Leandro General Plan - http://www.sanleandro2035.org/documents/
4. San Leandro Downtown Transit Oriented Development Strategy – https://www.sanleandro.org/depts/cd/plan/polplanstudiesceqa/downtownplan/todoview.asp
5. San Leandro Downtown Design Guidelines - http://www.sanleandro.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=16501
6. San Leandro Green Building Programs - https://www.sanleandro.org/depts/cd/bldg/bldggreen.asp
Created on March 25th, 2015 (last updated 1 month ago)