This building had a 213-219 N. Church Street address in the 1980 nomination. The Carleton House Motor Inn and Restaurant encompassed a two-story motel with a lounge, conference room, shop, restaurant, and forty-five rooms arranged around a central court and a one-story restaurant. A porte cochere shelters the office entrance; flat-roofed metal canopies connect the buildings. A metal fence now surrounds the complex, which currently functions as a North Carolina Wesleyan College student dormitory. The Carleton House Motor Inn and Restaurant opened on April 2, 1961. A Rocky Mount Evening Telegram article published that day declared that the complex featured the “most up-to-date ideas in modern motel construction.” Architects Shield and Wyatt designed the buildings, which are constructed of recycled variegated brick supplied by the Tar River Lumber Company. Mr. and Mrs. Carleton Noell of Rocky Mount and Mr. and Mrs. Kay Kyser of Chapel Hill funded the five-hundred-thousand-dollar construction and furnishing cost. Rocky Mount residents Nick and Mayo Boddie served as the first managers. The Boddie and Noell families subsequently incorporated as Boddie-Noell and were one of the first, and eventually the largest, Hardee’s fast-food restaurant franchise owners. Rocky Mount native Kay Kyser had a successful career as an entertainer, leading the Kay Kyser Band from 1935 through the late 1940s, appearing in movies, and hosting a television program before retiring from the industry in 1950.