The Nicodemus Building is a c.1890's Romanesque Revival urban dwelling that has been used commercially for many years. The building was built as a residence for John L. Nicodemus, president of the bank located at 101 W. Washington Street (now the Discovery Station museum). The building is prominently located on a hill along a heavily traveled arterial (US40) through Downtown Hagerstown, at a traffic light. Distinctive details of the building include a corner tower element with arched windows under a conical roof, a triple-arched porch with clustered column supports on rough-faced stone piers, gabled wall and window dormers within a mansard roof, and rough-faced stone banding and foundation. The rear of the lot was recently rough graded and would be suitable for an addition and/or parking for the building. Public parking is also available across the street in a surface lot. The zoning allows the building to be used for commercial and/or residential purposes.
After a major redevelopment effort fell short, the City of Hagerstown acquired the property from Frederick County Bank in March of 2013. The City demolished the motel portion of the property and has removed most of the debris and junk from inside the mansion house. There has been recent interest by the private sector to renovate the property and build a new structure on the rear portion of the lot.
Created on May 15th, 2015 (last updated 12 months ago)